St Baruc's Chapel, Barry Island
St Baruc's Chapel Barry Island
During 1894 and 1895 excavations took place on Barry Island, which revealed remains of a chapel parts of which date from 12th Century and until the 17th Century it was covered in sand.
The simple chapel consisted of a nave and chancel, roofed with local Pennant sandstone. It was located alongside an earlier single-roomed chapel that measured just 16ft x 10ft, itself built over an older burial ground. Later, a two-roomed priest’s house was joined to the chapel. The chapel, which was rebuilt in the 14th century, remained in use until at least the 16th century.
There has been a place of worship here, dedicated to St. Baruc, since his burial around 700AD. Initially there may have been a wattle construction but in Norman times a small stone chapel was built over the grave of St Baruc.
For more information please see Interpretation Panel