The Coronation of His Majesty The King 2023

People across the UK and the Commonwealth, are invited to celebrate the Coronation of His Majesty The King and Her Majesty The Queen Consort, over a weekend of special events, from the 6th May to 8th May 2023.

A bank holiday takes place on Monday 8 May 2023, with several national events planned to mark the occasion. Find out more about the celebrations at the Coronation website.

Coronation Celebrations in the Vale of Glamorgan
If you're planning to celebrate the Coronation with your friends, family or community in the Vale of Glamorgan, this page will provide useful information and guidance to help you organise a safe and successful event.

Thinking of holding a party – what to consider:
There are many locations to hold a party that don't require road closures - making the arrangements easier and quicker to manage. These areas include:

·       A local Park / field

·       A village hall / green

·       Garden

·       Sports Field

However, you will need to have permission from the landowner.
Most of the local parks and some green open spaces are managed by the Council so permissions will need to be sought from them.
If you are not sure who owns your local park or green open space, please email the Events Officer.

Street parties – that require a road closure
The Vale of Glamorgan Council will support applications for road closures as part of the Coronation, provided the locations are suitable for such events.

Types of areas that would be suitable are: cul-de-sac’s or minor roads that carry low volumes of traffic, and are not on a bus route.
Road closure applications cannot be accepted for main A, B or C roads.

If you are planning a street party on the public highway you will need to notify us, and apply for a road closure order.
And if successful, there will be no charge for this closure.

Those applying for street parties are encouraged to apply early to avoid disappointment, and to ensure the relevant orders are in place, we require the party organiser to submit their application at least 8 weeks in advance of the event - Deadline for applications is Monday 27 March 2023.

To apply for a street party road closure please email the Events Officer, with the proposed location / roads, date and timings.
Once we receive your enquiry, we will notify you as to whether your application is successful or not.

Please note:
All road closure applications will need to demonstrate that residents affected are supportive of the closure.

There will need to be a designated organiser(s) who is fully responsible for the street party and closure, with contact details provided in the event of an emergency.

The designated organiser(s) will need to provide details of appropriate measures in place to safely close the road to restrict traffic access for public safety and how these will be adequately maintained for the duration of the event.

A full list of terms and conditions can be provided on application.


Party organisers are not required to have public liability insurance cover for their event, but it is strongly recommended, as your event would not be covered by the Council’s insurance.

Risk assessment
A risk assessment would be required for your event, to ensure you have a record of the risks and how you are planning to control them.
The Health and Safety Executive risk assessment examples has some useful information and templates you can use.
A risk assessment would be need to be completed as part of your road closure application.

Licences – Temporary Events Notice (TEN)
If you wish to carry out any of the following licensable activities at your event you will need to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TEN).

  • Sell alcohol 
  • Supply hot food or hot drink after 11pm or before 5am on any day. 
    This includes takeaways, cafés, mobile hot food vans  and any other venue providing hot food or hot drink
  • Provide regulated entertainment such as performance of a play, exhibition of a film, indoor sporting events, boxing and wrestling, live or recorded music and performance of dance

Temporary Event Notices are applicable for an event that will have a capacity of up to 499 and cost £21.

Large scale events which are likely to attract over 500 people will require a Premises Licence instead of a TEN. 

Please note a TEN application will need 10 clear working days – not including weekends, bank holidays and you can apply for a TEN here.

First Aid
We would strongly recommend, that someone who is first aid trained with the right kit, is part of your event, to support anyone who might need it.

Is your event likely to create lots of noise? It's courteous to let neighbours and businesses in the area know what your plans are in advance of the event.
Leave a phone number with them so they can call if they have any questions or concern.

Waste Disposal
The organiser will be responsible for clearing all litter, waste and equipment from the street / party at the end of the event.

Useful contact details:
If you have any questions on any of the above information or a general enquiry on events in the Vale of Glamorgan – please contact:

The Council's Events Officer on 01446 704737 or email







Camping in the Vale of Glamorgan

Related Inspiration

More ideas for your next visit to the Vale

No items found.

Choose another inspiration Topic

Left Icon