Once the site of a busy port trading in grain and livestock in the early sixteenth century, this beach is now a quiet and peaceful haven for people and wildlife alike.
Closed since March 2020, the nearby power station towers above the beach, but is now an integral part of life at Aberthaw. The power station offers a variety of unusual environments which create protected habitats for a variety of wildlife species. The Wildlife Trust for Wales have helped to record over 1000 different species here, 62 of which are of principle concern to the conservation to the biodiversity of Wales. Regular wildlife visitors to this area include bass and smooth hound sharks, oyster catchers and turn stones.
During the ports heyday, ships regularly called from France, Spain and the West Indies and the place was famous for importing tobacco from St. Kitts.
There were store houses to keep goods by the harbour and in the village where there were many taverns such as The Ship, The Crown and Anchor, Maltsters Arms and the Blue Anchor which is still popular today, although it is said that a woman’s ghost is seen there from time to time!
Please note there is no parking provision at Aberthaw Beach. The location can be reached as you walk along Vale Trail 4
This route follows the Wales Coast Path where Vale Trail 4 the 'Park & Seaside Walk' reaches from Limpert Bay Car Park, a short walk westwards of Aberthaw, past Aberthaw Beach and beyond to Porthkerry Country Park.
Photo Credit - Tina Haydon - Aberthaw Lime Works