Despite the name and its medieval origins, Old Beaupre is really more manor house than castle. Built in two stages, the older part was constructed around 1300 while a major renovation in the 16th century by the Bassett family produced some of its most impressive remaining features. These include the well-preserved three-storeyed gatehouse and striking porch, decorated with columns inspired by the architecture of ancient Greece and bearing the family’s heraldic crest carved in stone.
Designed to demonstrate Bassetts’ wealth and importance, these Tudor symbols of status give a revealing glimpse into how this grand property would have looked in its heyday.
Car park 250 metres from monument (approx. 3 cars). Visitors have to cross farm land (3 fields), climb over stone stile and two kissing gates.
No items found.
NOTE: The above information is generated by third-party data provided by